Photographic praise for this pic of nearly-four-year-old Vanessa once again goes to Amy Springer of http://www.tiltphotography.com/!
Vanessa has turned eight.
Now that I can pick my heart up off the floor and dust it off (since it happened over a month ago and I'm beginning to get over the shock!), I have decided to write a post all about my girl.
Vanessa is my first-born. When you're a mom, there's just something about your first-born child, isn't there? I don't know if it was the 23 1/2 hour labor (complete with broken tailbone and other unmentionable "niceities" of childbirth) or if it was that we had to go through this new mother thing together, or what. But, the hardships have certainly played a part in forming an indescribable bond there.
Here are some fun things that Vanessa has said over the years:
At age three: "I don't like the boys at the library because they tried to meet me."
At age four: "Ah-ha! I know why Daddy is brown! It's 'cause he likes peanut butter so much!"
At age five, during a prayer while Daddy was away on business: "And, Heavenly Father, make sure that his plane doesn't fall out of the sky. But if it does, PLEASE catch him!"
At age five, after making her choose some items to donate from her overcrowded bedroom: "D.I. is the monster in my life!"
At age six, after sitting on the floor for a long time: "Ugh! My foot's half asleep...oh wait, now it's whole asleep."
At age seven, "Is this summer water? Oh, I mean spring water!"
At age seven, when three Hispanic guys so graciously came to our van to help Dave push us out of a snowdrift, "Daddy's not the oddball anymore!" (She always feels bad that Dave's really the only "dark" one in the family...maybe baby number four (who'll be here in about eight days!!!!!!) will look more like him.)
Vanessa sure keeps us laughing. She really does have a positive outlook on life and is good at letting things (most things) sorta roll right off her back. She never stays upset or sad for very long at all, which is a good lesson for me to remember. She and I of course don't always see eye-to-eye, but I've noticed lately that we are closer than ever, which I guess is one good thing about her turning eight. We certainly have some good, in-depth conversations now that she's older.
Here are some of her favorites:
Color: green
Foods: red bell peppers, tomatoes, fruit, and Italian food
Things to do: READ, dance, help with meal preparation, READ, use her imagination while playing with her brothers, anything involving the second grade...she loves school and learning, watch anything having to do with "High School Musical" and "Hannah Montana," READ, be in charge, play piano, plan things out and make lists, play with Daddy (dressing him up, walking on his back, wrestling with him, making him posters and pictures, etc.), and READ. She also places being the last one to finish her snack very high on her priority list.
Even though it was sad that Dave was out of town on her birthday (He was on a CARRIBEAN CRUISE for work...the little brat...yes, he missed us, but yes, he had a blast!), we celebrated a few days early before he left by going to Kangaroo Zoo and Chuck-A-Rama. On her actual birthday, we went to Chuck-A-Rama again, this time with Grandad and Nonna Goodman treating us. We had a family party, shared with her cousin Tyler, that following Sunday, and then, to add to the birthday debauchery, we gave her a "H.S.M." friend party with C.D. magnetic photo frame crafts, craft foam pendants, and a menu of hot dogs, popcorn, soda, and H.S.M. cupcakes.
Stay tuned for a separate post all about her baptism...and news of the upcoming arrival of our baby!
And now, the photo montage:
.jpg)
.jpg)





10 comments:
What a trip to have your baby turn 8! In my mind she still looks like the four year old in the first picture. That was when we met you guys. Where does the time go! You are on my mind this week as you endure the last few days of pregancy. I hope all goes smoothly!! Did you see 24 yet?? MISS YOU!!
Wow, the quotes from Vanessa made me laugh out loud several times! What a cutie! I'm so excited you are so close to meeting your new baby....and a little envious too!
What a beautiful girl! And yes, there is something about that first child turning eight, and the second...
AHHH Deb that was so lovely! She is one darling girl!
I can't believe she is so big! 8 years old! What an awesome birthday! I can't wait to hear about her baptism! Being 8 is so grown up!(Did you read that book???)
I have been thinking about you a ton this past month! Another baby! It's weird to think I won't be there to see the babe!!! Kind of sad for me!
I miss you lady! Hang in there and be safe!!! Email me anytime! I love you tons!
Beautiful post about your gorgeous girl! I look forward to hearing about the baptism and upcoming arrival of the babe.
So priceless! I love the fun things kids say!
Deb, I was just wondering about her birthday/baptism the other day. Can't wait to read about it. She is such a doll. I wish she and Katie knew each other, I know they would have a blast! Can't wait to hear about baby. Hang in there!!! Love you!
We sure love Vanessa! In fact, Sara just had out her little ceramic dog along with a picture of Vanessa to fill her grandparents in on their outing together. Her quotes cracked me up! Can't wait to see that new baby boy!!!
Some of the things she said is so funny! It made me laugh so hard. Sounds like she is a very special young lady. Happy birthday Vanessa!
Post a Comment