Wednesday, March 11, 2009

About Furniture

The first sofa we ever purchased was from D.I. and cost us $25. It was dark brown, sturdy, and hard; it screamed, "I've spent the last twenty years in an old church foyer. " I never quite loved it, but I did really like it, mostly because it represented our ability to actually buy things as a couple.
Our next sofa purchase was a sofa/love seat from Oak Plus. We waited many weeks for it to arrive because it had to be made in California first. (Don't let that fool you into thinking it was really great or anything; that's just how Oak Plus did things. Notice I said "did." They went out of business a few years ago. I don't think quality was ever really in their vocabulary...but I guess you get what you pay for, right?) We were particularly anxious to get our new furniture because we had disposed of "Ol' Brown" (it's kind of a long story), so I had to spend weeks breastfeeding our five-month-old Vanessa while sitting on the floor. One of my not-so-proud moments of my adult life involved a heated telephone discussion concerning the weeks-long delay of our sofa with the salesman at Oak Plus in which I actually said (in response to his "Ma'am, I have no idea when your furniture will arrive..."), "Well, YOU try breastfeeding your baby while sitting on the floor!" Yes, I did say salesMAN. Sometimes I really embarrass myself.

Anyway, the sofa and love seat finally came and we loved them: the perfect shade of dark green and small enough to fit my short legs. It was soon apparent, however, that this furniture would not last long. The fabric began wearing away at an alarming rate and soon there wasn't any spring or give left. Sitting on them had sorta become a joke; you had to just clunk down into them and hope that you didn't hit a metal bar in the process. I guess it didn't help that our children spent many, many hours using them as their jungle gyms/playhouses/boats/forts/American Gladiator obstacle courses. And, it didn't help that we kept them probably four years too long.

So, with the upcoming arrival of child number four, the prospect of breastfeeding while sitting on those things became too much to bear. (Wow, I never realized that nourishing my babies has had such a profound effect on our home decor!) After thinking and waiting and looking, we finally did it. We got a great deal and are really happy. Never before has our house smelled this leathery. What do you think?
By the way, the jury is still out on whether or not they clash with our beloved "Mochachino" paint color. Do you think they do? You can tell us the truth, really.

20 comments:

bknmkalhyland said...

I love your couch and loveseat!! We have the same ones!. We have had ours for about 2 years now and they still look great. From your pictures I don't see any clashing of colors. I truly hope you enjoy nursing your new little one on your new furniture. I spent many hours doing just that on ours!

Jen said...

I love your new sofas and I don't think they clash with your paint color but then I can see it that great! Sorry! Hope all is well! Love ya!

Jen said...

oops I meant to spell Can't see not can

Anonymous said...

Love the new furniture!! Looks extra comfy, and I don't see any clashing going on!

Robinson Family said...

Hey Deborah, good to hear from you. I think the new couches look very nice. We have leather couches, and they're wonderful with kids. Enjoy them. I can't believe you'll be nursing a baby soon. I bet your kids are super excited.

Krysta McClure said...

We like!!! Sad we didn't get to come and sit in them!! :0( Hope everyone is feeling better soon!! Miss ya!!

Mandos said...

Congratulations on the new furniture. It is always so exciting to be able to get something new. I love the new smell of leather as well.

Natalie said...

Ooooh! I love them...how fun, a little nesting related home decorating. I can't believe that baby is almost here!

The Charters said...

Ohhh, I am jealous. I love them!

Jen said...

Perfect! I hope that breatfeeding works well on these. You deserve it. Hope you are doing well.

Em and Jorg said...

They look so nice! And I'm not an expert or anything...but can neutral colors clash? If so, I'm in trouble! :)

studiocharm said...

They look fabulous, dahling! I think the colors are lovely with your walls. So excited that your little one will be here soon. Do you have a scheduled date? Hope you have a great day!!
~Amy :)

Becky said...

Oh Deb! I love the couches! So awesome for you! It's kind of hard to breastfeed sometimes, so give yourself as much comfort as you can!
I love that you ripped into the SalesMAN! I would have liked to hear that!
Honestly, I can't really tell if they clash! Email me a better picture if you get a sec! But really, the couches are great and the paint is full of love, so it doesn't really matter!
Email me sometime! And c stop by the blogs! I sure miss you!

Steph said...

Yea! Is that the same set you were saving for? I love them though. We're still on set #1 and going on 11 years--and can't wait for new ones either. But Ben thinks we just got married! We're excited to see you Friday!

JoandZac said...

Wow! I LOVE them! They look so great! How exciting.

Sachiko said...

Ohhh, they're so pretty! I'm so jealous! Our couches are 12 years old and I've been wanting to buy a new one. Can I come and sit on your's when I need to relax? :)

Heather said...

Wow. That's a lot of comments. I a little jealous of the comments. I LOVE, LOVE those couches. I'll have to come over and check it out!

Tanya said...

They are beautiful and the perfect color! I love leather couches... they are so easy to clean and very durable! By the way, your comment on my blog about playing church made me laugh so hard!! You are such a delightful person :)

Unknown said...

Congrats Deb. They look so great. I bet they make the whole house look modern and sophisticated. I think I will definitely want leather too for the cleaning aspect of it. I am very happy for you, your green ones were ready to move on. I must say I am jealous though. Some day...

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment on Sussy Deb. I heard about your car breakdown hence no drapes downer weekend. That really stinks. Hope the car and drapes are up and running/styling soon.
How much longer do you have? I know it's very soon. How are you feeling? Ethan still at the top of the list?