Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Man Sam




This is Sam at age 2 1/2. This photo was taken by my gifted friend, Amy Springer. The word gifted isn't really sufficient enough, but I guess it will have to do for now. You can check out her gifted-ness at http://www.studiocharm.com/ and her newest adventure, http://www.tiltphotography.com/. Go there NOW. Honestly, her storybook canvases will make you cry and her blog will make you see your life in a different light. Okay, so I guess you can continue to read the rest of my post if you prefer, but THEN you have to go to her websites.

Anyway, back to Sam. Exactly two weeks and six years ago, I had just completed my easiest (by miles!) labor and delivery. We got Sam that day and our lives have never been the same since. This kid is something else! Need a laugh? Go to Sam. Need a helping hand? Go ask Sam. Need to know how to craft a pretend sword/laser/spy gadget/walkie-talkie thingie out of a toilet paper roll, paper clips and twist-ties? Sam is your man.

One of my favorite things about this boy is the way he loves people. Things haven't been easy for Sam. Without going into too many details, he struggles with sensory problems that, frankly, have caused us a lot of sleepless nights, tantrums (his and mine!), and trips to the doctor. But, I think that, as is the case with a lot of trials in life, this has made Sam particularly compassionate. He really does make it a priority to try to understand and help others. He is the first to thank me for a meal that I've cooked, the first to help Vanessa after she's had a hard day at school ("Sometimes you just have to ignore what people say, 'Ness."), the first to let Cameron "destroy" his lego towers and, literally, walk all over him.

A couple of weeks ago, it was Sam's turn to give the lesson in Family Home Evening. Now, I have to say that, although we do have F.H.E. every week, it's not always the most fun, spiritual experience that it should be. It seems like most weeks, we spend most of our time saying things like, "Will you sit down now?!" and "Didn't I already tell you to put that Little People car down and listen?? We're trying to have a lesson!!" and, the ever-popular one from the kids, "When are we gonna be done?!" However, this week was different. Sam decided that he wanted to plan and give the lesson all by himself, which I was happy to oblige to. He gathered visual aids and made pictures. He made up a story about two boys named Jack and John and how they struggled with sharing with each other, but in the end, found a way to compromise. He then bore his testimony. And, let me tell you, that was one of the most interesting and attention-getting F.H.E.s that we've had in a long time. Okay, so can you tell yet that I adore this boy?

On his birthday, he got to take a poster that he had decorated to school. Some of the questions and his answers were:

When I grow up, I'd like to be: A policeman, an archealogist, a treasure hunter, and a movie maker.

I show others I care by: Sharing and giving food to people when they are sick.

A super-cool fact about me is: I don't like being mean and I don't hit people for no reason.

Favorite thing to do at home: Wrestle with my Daddy and go outside to play.

Some of my favorite Sam one-liners are:

"Mom, what color are Heavenly Father's shutters?"

When Vanessa called his camoflauge flip-flops "adorable," he said, "No, they're army-guy-able!"

"Women stink!"

"Let's run through this blistering wind!" (Yes, he's always dramatic like that.)

The first time on an airplane, looking out the window, "Hey, I see another planet down there!"

After completing a complicated course around the playground, "Call the newspaper, Mom!"

When being pushed on the swing, Vanessa: "Don't push us TOO high!" Sam: "Yeah, we're allergic to that."

Sam's planned response if someone ever offers him drugs, "No! You're not my brain! You're not my eye! But, I know you're a stinker!"

I think I know someone else who's a stinker! Anyway, Sam is a special boy and I love him. There are few things sweeter than watching him take care of his older sister and baby brother. Most nights, Dave and I lay awake for a few minutes, laughing about how the kids have entertained us that day, and we always have something fun to say about Sam. I truly wish the best for that kid. I like to dream about his future and all of the adventures he may encounter in life. Don't you just want to wrap your kids up in big sheets of archival paper and protect them from all the sadness and hardship in the world? I know I do. If anyone figures out a way to do that, e-mail me STAT, okay?





Sam's birthday was a two-and-a-half week affair. First, there was the party at Chuck-E-Cheese for just the five of us. Then, an Indiana Jones birthday party with EIGHT of his friends (I guess one can handle anything for an hour and a half, right?). Finally, we had an extended birthday party with the Goodman family, where Sam celebrated birthdays with his cousin Josh and his uncle Brian. Three cakes, seventeen presents, and countless laughs later, we are still in one piece!

8 comments:

Tanya said...

The Samisms (one liners) cracked me up! What a great boy and well deserving of such a sweet tribute...
Cheers (:

Unknown said...

I sure love reading your blog! Sam is such a great kid!
PS Almost time for Twilight. Have you seen the new trailer?

Kelli said...

I wish I knew Sam more, our two Sams would probably get along really well!! It is so fun to read your blogs, you are an awesome writer!!!

Unknown said...

What a sweet son! YOU are the one who is a great mother.

Krysta McClure said...

Yeah! We love our Sammy Boy! Did he get his belated birthday package in the mail?

JoandZac said...

Sam-Bo! I just love that boy. What a sweet post, Deb. It made me ache for a day spent with him. He's such a joy. I can't believe he's six! I remember everything about the day he was born. Gosh, time flies! I'm starting to feel old! But Samuel David is a blessing to all of us. Thanks for raising him the way you are! Love you!

Heather said...

What a cute post and what a cute kid. I love the Sam quotes. Those will be priceless to have in writing. Happy Birthday, Sam!

Mandos said...

Deb! I can't belive that I did'nt figure out you have a blog until now! I'm such a moron! Anyway I love this bit about Sam!