Thursday, October 2, 2008

Change

There have been so many changes going on recently that I feel my head is spinning (No, it's not spinning from the large Dr. Pepper I just downed in an attempt to keep me awake enough to edit a large document about resorts in Lithuania) (resorts in Lithuania...random.). One of the best changes is that my Dave is home for the next three weeks. Hawaii, California, Oregon, Idaho, Washington, Arizona, and Colorado: you can't steal my husband away for another three whole weeks. Ha!

Another amazing change is that my friend Lori brought her baby home from Taiwan last night. I got to see her twice today and both times brought tears to my eyes. She is a miracle child. After months of frustration and waiting and separation, she is finally home. Congratulations to this family who is finally together.

A sad change is that another friend, Becky, is moving next week. I had to say goodbye to her today and I despise saying goodbye. It never seems adequate enough. It seems like there are never the right words to say. Becky, we will miss you as you begin this new time of life. Just attack it with the positivity and gratitude that you do everything else in life and I know you'll make Iowa a better place and enjoy yourself in the process.

With things starting to really feel like fall, soccer season is winding down. Now, although trying to juggle two games going on at the same time miles apart from one another with Dave almost always away on business is not my idea of fun, I really will miss watching my kids play. (To Dave's credit, he didn't miss a single Saturday game because he booked his flights super early to make the games. Thanks for that, Dave. The kids and I really appreciate it!) Sam is on fire on that soccer field, attacking the ball with precision and strength. On the other hand, Vanessa is a bit more reserved, preferring instead to let others shine as she takes a secondary role. I truly enjoy watching them play and I'm so proud of how they've improved. You make me so happy, Sam and 'Ness!


Cameron is growing so quickly and this is a change that I dread. He's becoming quite opinionated and regularly speaks in full sentences now. Last week, during one of those monotonous and boring and delicious Sunday afternoon moments, we were sitting around discussing what we might name our next baby, if we were to be so blessed with one. (No, this isn't an announcement.) Vanessa and Sam were coming up with fairly acceptable names while we had to wade through Dave's ever typical, "How about Jerome?" or "How about Sally?" (I assure you he is quite serious about these names.) Then, Cameron-in a soft voice that was partially muffled with an ice bag that I'd been pressing to his forehead to ease a goose egg from an encounter with a laundry basket-pipes up and says, "How about Elmo?" Oh, our sweet Cameron, please stop growing up!


One thing that hasn't changed is that my editing project is still calling to me. Or, rather, sleep is calling to me and therefore, I need to finish my work. Speaking of work, did you know that in Anyksiciai, Lithuania, there is an average of 1707 hours of sunshine a month?!

8 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm so happy you've got Dave home for the next few weeks...perfect time for a date night (make that multiple date nights)...and I just happen to know a babysitter who's got some time on her hands!!!

Jen said...

So glad that Dave is home for a while! It would be nice if you could go with him sometime (esp Hawaii) If I can help make that happen please let me know! Love Jen

Amy Craig said...

Oh Deb, I miss you!!! Your blog made me smile! I am so jealous that you got to see Lori's baby. Give her a kiss for me! Have a great time with Dave over the next few weeks!!!

Amber said...

Your kids are so cute and grown up! I wish mine could stay little forever also. Aubrey misses playing with Vanessa!

Goodkids said...

Ok nobody else is going to say it, "It's so haarrd to say goodbye to yesterday" (end it on the high note). Just thought I throw in a little Boyz to Men. I love you babe.

Tanya said...

Thanks for answering my question about sunshine in Lithuania...I've been wondering! Deb, I love your delightful personality. You make me smile!
Cheers:)

Becky said...

Oh Deb,
I will miss you! I am so happy that you started this blog! I love reading the insights into your mind that you put down on the screen! Someday you are going to write something amazing and be so famous!
Let's keep bloging! Love ya lady!

Unknown said...

You are an amazing writer...you express so many things I feel but can't put to words! THank you!

Michelle